i got a TT in the works (vg30dett thread)

Modification, Tech Tips, Diagrams, etc. all go here.

Moderators: F31_Pilot, brewster240

F31Club Contributor

Postby ZoltecRules » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:22 pm

This still happening?

F31Club Contributor

Postby HowlerMonkey » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:03 am

Where does the Z32 shifter end up if using a crossmember that requires moving the engine back?

I understand that you lose the crossover tube or would have to make clearance for it if you do end up moving it back.

I'm putting a L28et in mine which requires the engine to be back exactly the same amount as if you had a V6 and used a Z31 crossmember so knowing where the shifter came out in this case will help greatly because I am using a FS5R30 tranny.

F31 Tech Mod

Postby brewster240 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:08 pm

get a tape measure.

there is no way to tell you, there are hundreds of variable.

and i dont know trans codes? but are you saying you plan on using z32 trans behind the l28? how are you gonna do that?

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby ttM30 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm

This still happening?

yes slowly but surley this is still happening
this is taking me longer then id like but thats jus cuz im lazy

oil filter relocation

dipstick relocation, just a little brass plug to knock out, i need to get the dipstik and tube from a j30

oil return for oil cooler, this was the last modification needed for the oil pan

solid motor mounts, still need to weld the trans mount to make that solid

t-belt kit

here's the crank shaft and the gear, cant see them too well but there are small cracks in the vallys of the teeth
i got a new gear, but it took me about an hour with some emerycloth to clean up the crankshaft enough to get the new one to slide on

got the t belt on and most of the stuff in the area, but i need to find two 3'' pieces of coolant hose to fit on. ive checked most places but they dont seem to have any the right size. so i may need to jus canibalize a hose ffrom some other vehicle. we'll see :?
ill b back
its always better a few miles faster

F31Club Contributor

Postby HowlerMonkey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:59 am

brewster240 wrote:get a tape measure.

there is no way to tell you, there are hundreds of variable.

and i dont know trans codes? but are you saying you plan on using z32 trans behind the l28? how are you gonna do that?

It turns out that the FS5r30 tranny out of the pathfinder has the same distance from bellhousing to the shifter lever as the FSw51c in the non-turbo Z31.

More measuring soon.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120007

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby ttM30 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:37 pm

UPDATE:

today i slide the engine back into its new home. that sucked severely. but it looks like i need to grind a bit from the crossmember to elongate the mounting holes. this time the engine is complete with accessories and harness and most everything else. it proves that there is no room to work around in this engine bay after the install.

no pictures but heres things that are finished:
relocated dipstick using the dipstick tube from the M30
made the shifter linkage using a piece of steering linkage from a VW still need to finalize this but its close
got trans mount welded to go along with solid motor mounts
traced out all wires and vacuum hoses

still need to get this thing steering somehow but with the engine in it'll b easier to get situated
there's a few parts like control solenoids and valves that i need to get along with the fuel lines from a j30. intercooler pipes and intercooler
exhaust and driveshaft. once all thats done then i get to figure out how to make gauges and instruments work probly gonna b aftermarket

if anyone in the local area wants to lend a hand feel free to get ahold of me, also if anyone would like to make donations that would be excellent.

till next time keep them running :twisted:

F31Club Grasshopper

Re: i got a TT in the works (vg30dett thread)

Postby ttM30 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:06 pm

steering works
ecu location
cooling
still need guages
need a shift knob
battery relocation
:drinking:

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby patzx300 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:15 am

Not to rain on your parade cause it is an awesome install but the pic of the ECU placement is a temporary location becasue that will not work in terms of the elements. There should be enough harness length to mount in the stock location. As for the gauges, the temp gauge should work just fine as the TT and the M30 used a 1 wire sender. If you have an electric speedo you can use the signal from the Z32 speed sensor.

F31 Tech Mod

Re:

Postby brewster240 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:42 am

ttM30 wrote:
oil return for oil cooler, this was the last modification needed for the oil pan

um.... what??

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby ttM30 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 pm

um.... what??

the TT used a oil cooler that came from the oil filter snout, at a certain temp, and then returned the oil back to the oil pan. i'm just copying that idea, might not be the best but its what the did from factory.

there is not enough harness to make it into the fenderwell and then into the pass side kick panel. so unless i drill a big hole in the center of the firewall and put it under the center console or dash its not going inside. i do plan on making a box around the ecu and a small cooling fan for it, to protect it.
the cars a 90 so it has cable speedo, and with all the things i plan on monitoring fuel pr, boost, oil temp, ect.. the stock cluster is not enough. i want this to have OBD that i can see as im driving

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby ttM30 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:42 pm

i got a few things taken care of.
got a driveshaft made
notched the bumper support to fit around the IC pipes
got a set of gauges from Marshall gauges. they have two color backlight options, so at the flip of a switch
and i finnally connected the battery to the car and after all the wires i messed with everything works, and no fire...so far at least :violent3:

now my list of things to do before starting is:
get the exhaust fabed up,
mounting the BOVs
fabricate a Y-pipe for the MAF
coolant
and a solid day making sure i didnt forget to do anything

F31 Tech Mod

Postby brewster240 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm

wow good to see an update on this.

thought it might have turned into another forgotton/abandoned project.

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby ttM30 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:04 pm

i finally got to the point where its time to attempt to start the car, i put in about a gallon of gas and when i turned the key, it worked just as i thought it would, it cranks over a few times then a few more and a few more and nothing, no fire or spit or sputter.

i didnt expect it to fire right away but the important part is that ive gotten the car to the point where its together enough that i just need to trouble shoot and find the mistakes ive made, or that came with the engine. i didnt tear into it much but i did pull a plug and it seemed to be a bit dry, so i dont think its getting fuel (i need to hook up my fuel press guage.) if i get luckey it will be something simple and ill have it running soon.

i still have a few things to do before its road worthy, like get the exhaust on the car, figure out where to mount my intake and air filter, and relocate the ecu cause its in the way of the hood hinge. but the heart of this build should just need some massaging to come back to life.

F31Club Contributor

Postby iLLBiLL » Mon May 25, 2009 10:56 am

Beautiful! I admire your commitment to this project. You are now so close you can smell it :D Keep up the good work! You hear the fuel pump turning on right? :lol: Always gotta check the obvious...

Site Admin

Postby jcrapps » Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 pm

agreed. I can't wait to see some pics of the motor in the car running :). Keep up the good work and way to stick it through to the end. You'll be the first DETT F31 in the states!

PreviousNext

Return to Infiniti M30 / Nissan Leopard Tech