RB20 SWAP plan to document it here...

Modification, Tech Tips, Diagrams, etc. all go here.

Moderators: F31_Pilot, brewster240

F31Club OG

Re: RB20 SWAP plan to document it here...

Postby ez22 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Putang29 wrote:I guess its from the z31? it was from the earlier model 300zx, it was gutted so I couldnt really identify it exactly. The shifter in that pic is the rb20det short shifter from jgy

Thats really weird that the shifter plate doesn't work for your transmission. Any details about the transmission you have? Any markings or numbers on it? Does the actual level pop into the shift linkage, but the bolts don't line up?
Desert 8 Cruise Club

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:21 pm

the gearbox is RP71C, ive googled it a couple times. I just checked again and found this: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/inde ... pic=308807

its an rb30e tranny suprisingly. If you look at the shifter, its bent forward which allows it to shift to the lower gears. Looks like i got 3 options for this.

1. modify the plate to allow shifting
2. modify the shifter itself with 2 bends to allow
3. swap out striker arms from the 300zx tranny in the junkyard to make it work

im not sure about the durability, seeing as how it is supposedly a non-turbo.

F31Club OG

Postby ez22 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Putang29 wrote:the gearbox is RP71C, ive googled it a couple times. I just checked again and found this: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/inde ... pic=308807

its an rb30e tranny suprisingly. If you look at the shifter, its bent forward which allows it to shift to the lower gears. Looks like i got 3 options for this.

1. modify the plate to allow shifting
2. modify the shifter itself with 2 bends to allow
3. swap out striker arms from the 300zx tranny in the junkyard to make it work

im not sure about the durability, seeing as how it is supposedly a non-turbo.

I think your best bet is to do 1. Do some of the holes line up?
Desert 8 Cruise Club

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

yea all of the holes except the middle left line up. I have seen a thread on how to fix this before, i was just trying to get around doing all this and get a direct fit. It was on the nicoclub where a guy had an "rb20" tranny (just like mine) and installed a b&m shortshifter, making the same mods im gona have to make to it.

Ah yea, and my motor brackets got in today and they fit! so friday-sunday morning is gona be 100% install and wiring. Only bad part is that I have procrastinated about going and getting the pedals for the 5 spd conversion.

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:56 pm

dropped the engine in today. We have to make a "middle man" bracket for the mckinney transmission mount, the hole are too close together compared to the stock m30 bracket. And the transmission sits further back so we cant use it. Other than that, we are going to have to make some mods to the driveshaft as well, so the project continues.
Attachments
P3291231.JPG
P3291230.JPG
P3291229.JPG
P3291228.JPG
P3291227.JPG
P3291226.JPG

F31Club OG

Postby ez22 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Maybe you should modify your stock transmission crossmember. It looks like it might be easier to use it instead of that mckinney one.
Desert 8 Cruise Club

F31Club Noob

Postby N14ParkwayRacer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Ah Yes!! I never get tired of seeing a long thick RB under an M30 hood. Good work!!! Also the mckinney trans mount fits the '20 trans better than I thought.
I Cheated On "Silvia" Last Night, But One Can Get Tired Of The Same Woman!
"1991 M30"

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 pm

yea i think im going to use it as my base with the stock m30 mount cut up to be an extended bolt on, im not sure. I read earlier about the guy with the sr20 swap and saw his mod, i liked that. I tried to mess with it after work and have firmly decided that this car needs to be lifted off the ground to finish this project, i was getting pretty pissed squeeming under that car so low im like 6ft tall n its not happening. haha. As far as the driveshaft, I talked to a local import custom place today and they can get me the driveshaft modded with about a 3-4 day turn around, pending i get this tranny mount problem resolved first, so I can get a more accurate measurement for the cut on the shaft. I only pray that the money required from this point isnt a thurd of what that engine was. Any sponsors wana hook me up?

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 pm

so i got some jacks n stuff today, much better, but a little more nerve racking. anyway, these are the pics of the stock tranny mount on the rb30 tranny, and my low quality measurements. PLEASE let me know what you think as far as fabrication for this, or else I will jsut do the cardboard cutout to metal cutting routine (not cheap). The welding is free for me as long as i get the rods for it so im open to all ideas.
Attachments
003v2.JPG
002v2.JPG
001v2.JPG

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:01 pm

i took the transmission mount to the local welder and heres what he said...

What I want to have done to the mount is pointless, I might as well make an entire bracket (like the guys at project car mag did), and that he is backed up about a week with work.

I also contacted the local import tuner shop that I trust the most, and without my car there, they cant gurantee anything, and pretty much cant tell me a price reguardless as far as my mount and dirveshaft.

I called the tow company its only 50 bux to have the car towed, but thats 1 way, and only for fabrication purposes. My funds for this project are comming to a close because I havent sold my lancer yet, and Im getting pretty depressed.

EZ22 You have been my biggest help thus far from here and I will take any advice you give me.

If I send it to the shop, just for fab purposes, Im sure itll be a grip, but faster and more accurate. After that its only wiring and inspection to drive it. Whats everyones opinions on this?

F31Club OG

Postby ez22 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Putang29 wrote:i took the transmission mount to the local welder and heres what he said...

What I want to have done to the mount is pointless, I might as well make an entire bracket (like the guys at project car mag did), and that he is backed up about a week with work.

I also contacted the local import tuner shop that I trust the most, and without my car there, they cant gurantee anything, and pretty much cant tell me a price reguardless as far as my mount and dirveshaft.

I called the tow company its only 50 bux to have the car towed, but thats 1 way, and only for fabrication purposes. My funds for this project are comming to a close because I havent sold my lancer yet, and Im getting pretty depressed.

EZ22 You have been my biggest help thus far from here and I will take any advice you give me.

If I send it to the shop, just for fab purposes, Im sure itll be a grip, but faster and more accurate. After that its only wiring and inspection to drive it. Whats everyones opinions on this?

From this picture:
Are you sure you don't have that crossmember on backwards?

Anyway, if you have the fab skill, you should definitely make it yourself. If not, I would wait for the welder. It would be easier just for you to have him make one up for you or you make the pieces yourself and have him weld them for you. A shop would be much more expensive and you would have to tow the car to and from the shop.

Whats the problem with your driveshaft?
Desert 8 Cruise Club

F31Club Contributor

Postby HowlerMonkey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:57 am

30 minutes with a drill and sawzall and an hour to let the paint dry while you grind the countersunk bolt.

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:24 am

that is exactly what I was wanting to do too, but have it welded to the xmember also. Im gona get the car towed to this DIY garage they have ramps, bays, and all the fab equipment there.

F31Club Grasshopper

Postby Putang29 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 pm

UPDATE...

Cars at that diy shop until we finish so pics are gona be delayed and bundled.

Got the welder at the shop to work on the mount, Ill post pics asap. He cut the stock m30 mount into 3 pieces, basically cutting out the middle part. He took some 1x1 bent steel to piece them all together. The only thing now (of course every time we work on it) is that part of the m30 wiring harness is missing. We have the inside portion that hold the ECU from the upper, and the bulk of the random wires that go along the engine bay firewall side. We are going off of what the guys at project car did as far as using some of that harness to merge it with the rb20 to use the ignition, fuel, etc.

I also found out that along with all the parts and engine came a complete sr20det wire harness if you want to buy it let me know haha.

Postby j » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Putang29 wrote:the short shifter has the same problems as the z32, im just gona have to modify it. I am beginning to think that this tranny isnt the usual rb20det transmission.

I have tried to install it with the shifter itself backwards in the plate, trying to free up some room. Doesnt work.

I have tried to install it in the forward position, nuetral, and rear positions, it did not work.

hey looks like everything is coming along nicely!!!

if you come across one, you could always just get a ka or sr trans and swap out the bellhousings. only takes about 30min and a little bit of gasket sealer. only thing with that is you will not have a cable driven speedo anymore. can always get an electric cluster out of a 92 though.

btw that 6th hole you are referring to, are you sure that is not a spring and metal ball in there? im pretty sure its like the 7th hole for a ka/sr/rb20 trans which is used for the spring and check ball. i forget if that check ball is a neutral or reverse position sensor but im pretty sure its for one of those. if you really wanted to run that trans and the other 5 holes bolt up, you could just jb weld that 6th hole on the shifter plate. i actually have a bm shifter off an rb20 that has some holes jb welded. i should go double check that and see if either the patterns are same as your trans.

the spring and check ball are right in the center of the red ball in this picture.

as far as the trans xmember goes, i think you can just bolt it up and notch out the section that hits the trans. once you have that done, you can bolt the mount to the xmember and just use a square piece of decently thick metal and drill out 4 holes in it. 2 will bolt to your tranny where the mount used to go and the other 2 will bolt up to the mount where it used to bolt up to the tranny. i forget who did this before but someone on here has pix of what im describing, just in 2 seperate pieces of flat iron. probably either slideways or jaster m5 since they were the only 2 that have used the s13 xmember swap info. for mine i just cut and welded a bunch of stuff just to get it to work like you are.

hope this helps you out some.
if u cant slide it dont buy it!!! youre wasting your money

Slide In Love David Kula
A true friend will never be forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Infiniti M30 / Nissan Leopard Tech