Driftur's M rebuild

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 pm

ez22 wrote:Rofl the offset Infiniti badge is awesome like that!
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Just do away with the badges all together. People will start to think that it's some JDM car.. :lol: And then pictures of you will start showing up on the local Ricer boards as some dude driving a Cefiro or something.. :D Or people would think that you were a Maxima.. :D Because there was not a whole lot of M30's made and seeing them is pretty rare, so that would be pretty cool.
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Post by Driftur » Mon May 21, 2007 7:43 pm

nah i like all the infinty badges, if i take um off...it'll look like a stanza like J's. nahnah jus joke bra. in a way it feels more prestiegous wearing um. + my shiets in pretty good condition still yet. If was falling off then maybe I would change um, but its not :)
Jay: In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.
sLiDeWaYs
F31Club Contributor

Post by sLiDeWaYs » Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Driftur wrote:
sLiDeWaYs wrote:nice progress driftur.

question on the front strut bar. it looks as if the bar from the s13 is too LONG. why dont you just add the nuts back on there, and bent the bar in 2 spots. thats what i did " bent the bar in 2 spots" for my s13 w/ ca18det since the ca18 shares the same type manifold as the s14 sr, TOP MOUNTED plenum instead of the snail. my original front strut bar for the s13/ka24/sr20 wouldnt clear so i made it fit. just a head up of how i did it. im gonna try my old on my m n let you know how that goes. peace
yeah thats an old pic dude, i need to update with a new one. I bent the bar in 2 places like ya said and got the head cover back in there, painted it gunmetal to match the rims too! it looks sik
good stuff man, glad to hear it worked. it did for mine as well so HOOO RAAAA to us LOL.

anyhow nice progress.

PS i love the slippers, could only imagine what a wrench could have done to your toe though HAHAHA

justtt keeeeding.

oh for those who are intrested.

s13 tension rod mid braces work on our cars. just need a little fiddling with to make it work.

better to just weld a bar in the middle of the 2 front sub frames and make it adjustable though. s13 bar hits the front sway!

slideways_gf31

ULTRA Love Car
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Z32 brake pedal

Post by Driftur » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:23 am

I picked up a 90 Z32TT for 500 bucks cause it wasn't running and was all bus up. after about a month of dicking around I ended up with a motor and a tranny.
vg30dett.jpg
Z32tttranny.jpg
I started taking apart the motor and found that the ECU was all torn apart, one of the turbos was frozen and the other wasn't in much better shape. I started to polish the Intake plenum and port the head, but if I decide to continue on this road, it's gonna take alot of time and money, so we'll see what happens, but for now I can try and get the 5speed in. At the end of all this I will list all of the parts, prices and tools I had to aquire to make this swap possible, also keep in mind that I've never attempted to swap a tranny before infact pulling the motor out of the Z was a first for me as well.
so.... I started collecting parts

91 240sx parts:
-clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, steel braided hose adapter, and brake hard line.

91 maxima parts:
-flywheel, oem clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing"that didn't fit", and alignment tool)

90 300ZXTT parts:
-brake pedal, trans, throwout bearing, drive shaft
newdriveshaft.jpg
So after getting out all the auto stuff, and getting the custom drive shaft back from the shop, I bolted up everything above, wish it was as easy as it sounds writing this up hehe. I used the auto starter but it didn't reach the flywheel teeth so i grinded the surface of the starter down about 1/4" sorry I didn't take a picture. put it back in and it started right up.
after a long day of fighting with pedals and driving back and forth to jays house, we finally got that shiet installed.hmmm what can i say? well I'll say the z32 brake pedal wasn't made for this car but we made it fit this car hehe. I was right, the four bolts on the back side matched up perfectly, but the top of the frame was a little to tall, so jay sliced it up a little with the sawzall and then spot welded it. looked pretty cherry but when we got back to the car we found that we couldn't bolt up the top cause the mounting point was at an angle. So.... we pounded it flat with da hammer an den put da bolt threw and tighten under where the windshield wipers are. came out pretty cherry needless to say. The pedal could be bent to clear the steering column a little better and make it closer to the gas pedal but she go for now.
10-30-07052.jpg
10-30-07055.jpg
10-30-07056.jpg
10-30-07059.jpg
pedals.jpg

The clutch pedal looks really high like everyone else's but as they said its pretty comfy right there.
The shifter doesn't sit in the center of the shifter hole, it's more to the drivers side and here's the bracket I made to hold the bugga up. You can use what ever your imagination can conjure but this works great for me.
shifterbracket.jpg
Unfortunately the shifter would hit the e brake in second gear and that wont fly if you drift so i relocated my e brake more to the right. There is a hole already there to mount it on that side. This works cherry for me and only took some minor getting use to.
relocatedebrake.jpg
First gear
firstgear.jpg
Second gear
secondgear.jpg
Second gear with e brake up
secondgearwithebrakeup.jpg
I also got a glow shift tach, was only fifty bucks but helpful since i can't see the stock tack after changing the steering wheel.
tachmounted.jpg
night show~
nightlights.jpg
this is where I mounted my HID ballast, i remember someone asking about possible locations to mount them.

Passenger side
hidrightside.jpg
Drivers side
ebdriversside.jpg
also in case you're wondering, that silver box is an oil catch can, does nothing in my opinion but looks cool, and the Heineken keg that I transformed into a intake heat shield.
VG30e
vg30e.jpg
DAS WASSUP
:redhotevil:
daswassup.jpg
Last edited by Driftur on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay: In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Post by Driftur » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Last edited by Driftur on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. 25/8
F31Club OG

Post by Mr. 25/8 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 pm

dude that is a badass M! Lovin the decals 8)
j

Re: Driftur's M

Post by j » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 pm

i think sombodys thread needs an update! or are we waiting for the roll?
if u cant slide it dont buy it!!! youre wasting your money

Slide In Love David Kula
A true friend will never be forgotten
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Post by Driftur » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:32 am

:clock: :munky2:
Last edited by Driftur on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Post by Driftur » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 am

j wrote:i think sombodys thread needs an update! or are we waiting for the roll?
:big1:
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:35 am

hahah,

Good stuff man.
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Re: Driftur's M updated July 4th 08

Post by Driftur » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:06 am

alright! time to blow it up with some updated pics of my M.
newrims003-1-1.jpg
Here is the blue prints to my 1991 Infinity M30 heheh

Well i guess i'll start with the motor.
It's still stock but i found a leak coming from my water pump so i decided to change it along with the timing belt and all the other belts since i had to take em off anyways. I just used goodyear belts, oem waterpump, oem thermostat, and raptor radiator hoses. also put in a dual 12" flex-a-lite fans with a thermostatic switch.
newrims061.jpg
I changed the sparkplugs and wires, NGK Iridiums and added some fresh Royal Purple 10w40 oil. you can see the Heineken air filter cover i made out of the keg can and on the top left you can see I by-passed the abs pump with some splitters and removed it. the mount still remains because i plan on fitting a slim kinetic battery there and clearing out the stock battery location. on the top right is the new 300zx master cylinder I changed while trying to figure out what was wrong with my stupid ass brakes
newrims060.jpg
newrims060.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 559 times
On to the exhaust
I cut off the rusting cat and welded on a 2 1/2" cherrybomb and laid some pipe all the way back to nasty can APEXi N1
newrims082.jpg
newrims082.jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims064.jpg
newrims064.jpg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Renny tried his hand at fiberglassing and made a mold of the stock lip which i got my grubby hands on :notworthy: I think it's the only one in the country, but not to sure about that. well more on this later
newrims019.jpg
newrims019.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 559 times

and by the way thats about how much cigarettes I smoke in one morning when body working
Since I bought a welder and have 0 welding experience I decided to do my diff :williamshatter: I looked all over the net for how to weld diff's and basically got that you need to use a good mig welder and to weld the spider gears. sounds easy right? :forbiddensmile: well, turns out, taking the diff off the car was no picnic,I drained all the fluid out then i unbolted everything in reverse and found out how heavy a diff is. bruised up my arm pretty good too :boxing: so after dismantling it and taking off the axles I took off he cover to find what looked like a viscous and after much speculation and debate amongst friends, decided it wasn't...lol so weld the bitch! :rightfighter3: I just wanna say attempt this at your own risk and take responsibility for your own actions.
5-08095.jpg
5-08095.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims012.jpg
newrims012.jpg (8.77 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims013.jpg
newrims013.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims065.jpg
newrims065.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Basiclly I cleaned it out with brake cleaner and decided not to take it out of the pumpkin cause i never touched a diff before and i didn't want to reset any spacers or backlashes so everything lines up right. (people recommended taking it out though) but I didn't. I welded as much of the gearing as i could get to, rotating the gear to weld all four spiders gears to the main gear and the inner gear housing. I cleaned it up as best i could and put it back together. fill it up with gear oil and see what happens... : both tires spining baby also I know how bad the weld looks so keep any negative comments to yourself. It was my first time welding and she still holds like a champ.
....and back to the brakes.
while doing the brakes I noticed my tires ate through the wire harness on the drivers side when my car was slammed. I taped them up and tucked em away a lil better.
newrims004-1.jpg
newrims004-1.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 559 times
as I mentioned earlier, I changed the master cylinder because i was having brake fading issues. "the brake would grab really low to the floor" I didn't know if this had to do with the Z32 brake pedal or the ABS delete or the MC so I began changing stuff out. I bent the pedal to better clear the steering column, I changed all the pads, rotors and shoes. all factory oem. still no I had no brakes. It just felt like there was air in the system no matter how much i bled it. come to find out, it was from putting on the 240sx spindles. The mounting for the caliper is in the front and stock is in the rear of the rotor. the bleeder valves were positioned lower than the brake line thereby trapping air at the highest point. easy fix, just swapped the left and right calipers and voila!, great stopping power.

I had to get some new wheels to cover my new shoes so I ordered some new work equip 03's
newrims031.jpg
newrims031.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims033.jpg
newrims033.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims037.jpg
newrims037.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims062.jpg
newrims062.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Fronts 15x9 -3 offset with federal 205/50
Rears 15x10 -16 offset with federal 195/55 da gangsta stretch by J

ooookaaaay on to the interior and electronics:
newrims066.jpg
newrims066.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 559 times
starting with the seat...
5-08080.jpg
5-08080.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 559 times
5-08079.jpg
5-08079.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 559 times
renny had some steel laying around so I cut it up and welded a bracket together based on brewsters pic, bought the chair from checkers for a 100 bucks. and I already had a sparco harness.
newrims005.jpg
newrims005.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims009.jpg
newrims009.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 559 times
I helped renny install a keyless entry system, p.a. system, apexi safcII, greddy turbo timer, volt gauge, temp gauge and tach.
newrims053.jpg
newrims053.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims059.jpg
newrims059.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims074.jpg
newrims074.jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 559 times

The bue turn signal is from a 240sx, It's exactly the same except when I turn on my highlights, it cuts off the regular headlight looks kinda cool, just 2 bright ass yellow beams. so yeah the clip is the same and the mounts are the same. good to know if yours ever breaks.
I installed the safcII where the dummy lights were next to the clock. FLUSH MOUNT SON! :animalelephant:
I moved the deck to where the a/c console used to be and put that where the deck used to be. its more ergonomic for me :wrestler3: the turbo timer is in the compartment next to the lighter for now and that blue thing sitting on the asstray is a pc fan i have hooked up to the flex-a-lites, so when they turn on up front these fans turn on and light up to let me know the fans on under the hood are running. I love my blue crystal shift rod, kinda like driving a truck, the shifter is in hands reach of the steering wheel. The blue cord is the mic for the P.A. system so I can yell "Pull over bitch!"
newrims073.jpg
newrims073.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 559 times
newrims077.jpg
I still need to get the safcII tuned but im gonna wait on that for awhile.
newrims071.jpg
newrims072.jpg
re-upholstered the center console with black suede and embossed the infinity logo with some foam matte and spray glue. I got some stickers from u-haul for the fun of it too.

battle version
newrims038.jpg
newrims045.jpg
newrims049.jpg
newrims051.jpg
newrims081.jpg
newrims072.jpg
Attachments
newrims007.jpg
Last edited by Driftur on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ez22
F31Club OG

Post by ez22 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:46 am

WTF! Show us some more pics of the M30 with the new shoes! Whats the sizes on those?!? I need pics! :D
Desert 8 Cruise Club
j

Post by j » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:53 pm

ez22 wrote:WTF! Show us some more pics of the M30 with the new shoes! Whats the sizes on those?!? I need pics! :D
what he said x2!!!! wheels look like they're in the negative nasty offsets!!!

but for reals. looking good man keep up the sikness!!!
if u cant slide it dont buy it!!! youre wasting your money

Slide In Love David Kula
A true friend will never be forgotten
jcrapps
Site Admin

Post by jcrapps » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:12 pm

I LOVE YOUR M Driftur!! Really cool mods man. The wheels are crazy nice with the J-inspired crazy negative offset! I love busy lights in the interior too. It's sweet at night. Your car has come a long way man. Keep up the good work, and nice lip too!
Driftur
F31Club Contributor

Post by Driftur » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:53 pm

jcrapps wrote:I LOVE YOUR M Driftur!! Really cool mods man. The wheels are crazy nice with the J-inspired crazy negative offset! I love busy lights in the interior too. It's sweet at night. Your car has come a long way man. Keep up the good work, and nice lip too!
thx man :toothy5: i hope to bring it up there in the next couple years to sample some tracks and cruise wit all you guys on a meet of some sort. :thumbright: