5 spd M30.

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
homemade
F31Club Noob

5 spd M30.

Post by homemade » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:12 pm

I finally finished the 5 spd swap on my 91 M30. My camera broke so I dont have any of the pics from the conversion but I will have some pics of the car up soon. I used a 85 300zx NA for all the parts. she runs pretty good but needs a tune up and a bit of work on the clutch still. Just excited to have it done.
Damnit Farva!!
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Lucky you!!! I was wanting to do mine this weekend but I can't find a Flywheel ANYWHERE. And I"m not about to pay $350 for a new one at the dealership. I know there has to be someone that knows where I can get a used 84-86 300z flywheel.
homemade
F31Club Noob

Post by homemade » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:03 am

I got my flywheel from BAP its a reconditioned stock flywheel from an 85 300zx it was only $58.00 with a $45.00 core charge.
Damnit Farva!!
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:12 pm

what is BAP? I will see if they are close to me. And I will see if I can drive to get one or if I can have them ship it over night. Thats a pretty good deal. Were you able to get new bolts to? How much were they?
homemade
F31Club Noob

Post by homemade » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Its a chain auto parts store BAP import parts. I couldnt get new bolts from them I had to get them from a local place called copper state nut and bolt they had the same bolts but I know the guy so they where free. You should be able to find BAP online.
Damnit Farva!!
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:13 pm

welcome back man.

What parts did you use (year) and what problems did you come upon?
homemade
F31Club Noob

Post by homemade » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:41 am

1985 300zx NA

5spd tranny
clutch master cylinder
Original aluminum clutch line rebent then installed.
modified clutch pedal cut and bent then welded new pedal on.
new flywheel (stock)
pressure plate (stock)
custom adapter to mount to crossmember
new drive shaft with 300zx input shaft had to be shortened just 1/2 inch from stock length, new greaeable changable U-joints. (probably shoul have had a one piece shaft made but its too late now.

The hard stuff:

MAking the clutch pedal fit was annoying after cutting it down and fitting it in. The pedal was way too flimsy. So I made an L bracket that looked bolted to to threaded studds on the underside of the dash then welded the clutch to it. Ill try and take some pics once I can afford a new camera.

Starter: That was a bitch it fits really tight. but it just takes time.

Still having problems with air in the clutch line. I used the system out of the 300zx and it has a what appears to be a pressure regulature in the line and I think its not working right. The clutch petal actually getting sucked back to the floor sometimes and sticks but its not engaged just stuck down. Im gonna wrench on it today and see what happens.

The good stuff:

The car runs awesome, I just tuned up the motor and everything is running well. She shifts nice ( when the clutch works) and drives really smooth. And its pretty fast for being so heavy. Next upgrade are some good adjustable coilovers, intake and hopefully a new exhuast. Oh yeah and a shifter knob.
Damnit Farva!!
Nakazoto
F31Club Noob

Post by Nakazoto » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:58 pm

homemade wrote:Still having problems with air in the clutch line. I used the system out of the 300zx and it has a what appears to be a pressure regulature in the line and I think its not working right. The clutch petal actually getting sucked back to the floor sometimes and sticks but its not engaged just stuck down. Im gonna wrench on it today and see what happens.
That happened on my 88. The thing your talking about is called a Vibration Dampener. Supposed to take out the feeling of the clutch engaging and disengaging when you push the pedal. After 100k mine just started letting air into the line. Easiest fix is to get a Front Brake Hose off of a 280ZX and just go from the hard line direct to the slave cyilnder. :)
http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.clutch.damper.shtml

Hope this helps!
And congratulations on your swap! Was gonna start on mine this weekend but a broken part in the Z put it off for a bit longer :(
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:04 pm

very kool homemade. This type of info is what needs to be added on the 5spd swap thread.

I always say this, if you learn something from f31club, contribute back. we have a basic guideline for the 5spd, but pix and more info/issues that people come upon can help out everyone.
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:37 am

Nakazoto wrote:
homemade wrote:Still having problems with air in the clutch line. I used the system out of the 300zx and it has a what appears to be a pressure regulature in the line and I think its not working right. The clutch petal actually getting sucked back to the floor sometimes and sticks but its not engaged just stuck down. Im gonna wrench on it today and see what happens.
That happened on my 88. The thing your talking about is called a Vibration Dampener. Supposed to take out the feeling of the clutch engaging and disengaging when you push the pedal. After 100k mine just started letting air into the line. Easiest fix is to get a Front Brake Hose off of a 280ZX and just go from the hard line direct to the slave cyilnder. :)
http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.clutch.damper.shtml

Hope this helps!
And congratulations on your swap! Was gonna start on mine this weekend but a broken part in the Z put it off for a bit longer :(
I'm about to go outside in a minute after I crank up some cheese grits and eat those, then I will start on my swap.
Can I use a braided hose or a hose similar to what I had made at NAPA for my HIgh Pressure side of the power steering pump for the direct line to the slave instead of trying to find a brake line for a 280?
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:43 am

homemade wrote: The hard stuff:

MAking the clutch pedal fit was annoying after cutting it down and fitting it in. The pedal was way too flimsy. So I made an L bracket that looked bolted to to threaded studds on the underside of the dash then welded the clutch to it. Ill try and take some pics once I can afford a new camera.
If I have the parts car here at my house with all the parts that I need including pedals and lines and what not such as that, would it just be easier to pull out the clutch pedal AND the brake pedal from the 84 300zx and use both intead of having to cut this and that and weld this and that? I'm assuming that I would be able to still use the current master brake cylinder that I have and just change out the pedal itself and then use clutch pedal?
mmmjesse
F31Club Contributor

Post by mmmjesse » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:13 am

Use just the Z clutch pedal and all you have to do is heat it and bend it.

Jesse
ChadMK4
F31Club Contributor

Post by ChadMK4 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Yea but don't you still have to cut the brake pedal and isn't the brake pedal a little bit to big at that point? wouldn't your foot hit it just about everytime you changed gears?
ONEVIA
The Write-up King

Post by ONEVIA » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:39 am

ChadMK4 wrote:Can I use a braided hose or a hose similar to what I had made at NAPA for my HIgh Pressure side of the power steering pump for the direct line to the slave instead of trying to find a brake line for a 280?
I'm using a stainless steel braided line for my clutch and it works fine.
homemade
F31Club Noob

Post by homemade » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03 am

I moved my clutch pedal far enough away to let me shift safely and I wear a size 13 shoe theres plenty of room just gotta bend the clutch pedal to be in the right spot.
Damnit Farva!!