M30 drift rig Version 4 - rebuild

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

M30 drift rig Version 4 - rebuild

Post by XslidewaysX » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 pm

thanks for looking. im garret. aka GeeRawd. from pittsburgh, PA-tempe arizona

i been drifting and building cars for 4-5 years now primarily nissans, and rx-7's i decided to post up here in case i need any parts for my m30.. and to maybe get some of the useless m30 parts in my garage.. i'll post a few of the cars... and then my m30 i guess... theres a full buildup thing on AZ240

http://www.az240sx.org/forums/index.php ... =32987&hl=

this is my house in casa grande arizona... thats my bmw and m30... the other 2 cars are my roomates

this is my last car.. at a event in tuscon az

and theses were a couple of my 240s from PA

oh and this is me...

and this is a note i found behind my back seat when i removed it

this is the M30 now

if u see anything you might need laying in this pile... let me know.. i no longer need any of it

im begining to remove all un-needed wiring

or smiplify it..

i also found a good use for the airbag

well heres a little bit about me...

i've owned 7 240's and 3 of them were built for drifting... i got really tired of all the attention i got driving the 240 and i want something ridiculous that is different. i have worked for a couple performance shops, and have done my fair share of fabrication, motor swaps, and other car crap.

if you would like to see more of this stuff i'll post up some of my older cars.
well thats about it on me.. if your in the arizona area.. let me know

and if you need any interior crap... also let me know.. or engine parts... i cant guarantee if any of it works because i have never driven the car or had it running. so if i didn't bust it up removing it i prob. have it.

well nice meeting you all hopefully i'll be posting more crap or posting more pictures of my progress.

take care... dont mind my spelling and lack of grammar... sorry..

-Garret N.
Last edited by XslidewaysX on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
ez22
F31Club OG

Post by ez22 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 am

Welcome to the club!

Thats a hella of a project you got going there. I assume you plan on drifting your M30, but what are you plans for the drivetrain on the car? VG, RB, SR, or are you even keeping it a Nissan? Either way I look forward to some updates :D .
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

The rb20 powered m30 "the dirty m30"

Post by XslidewaysX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:18 am

one of my previous cars was powered by an rb20det. i simply love the broad power band and high rev of that motor. but i didn't like how little space the S13 engine bay had and how poorly distributed the weight was in that car with the RB engine. so i plan on using the M30 chassis with the rb power train because of the larger engine bay and the increased weight in the back of the car. as well as the firewall being farther back in retrospect with the strut towers or axle center line.

the important thing to remember with an engine swap is the placement of the engine over the front axle. take for example your LS1 swapped RX7's

an rx7's rotary engine isn't super light however, the compact design of the engine puts the entire engine behind the front axle. when its replaced with an LS1 the weight is in front of the front axle. weight in front of the front axle takes weight off the rear axle significantly and is hard on weight distribution, even if the replacement engine is in fact lighter. witch is why many racers will move the engine back in the car if the rule book allows such modification. some sactionioning body's to not allow you to modify the firewall. the RB in the M30 will sit very close to how it is designed to sit in the R32 or A31 and with the spacious engine bay it will allow me work on the engine much easier.

i have also been deciding weather or not to use an s13 rear sub frame. im am hesitant to do this because i haven't driven the car on the track yet, and my feelings are, if it aint broke dont fix it. so if i have trouble with the stock rear suspension i will then replace it. for now, my objective is to remove as much weight and un-needed material from the car as possible, cage it, modify the suspension to my desired needs and put in the new power train.

thanks for the warm welcome, and your interest in my project
Last edited by XslidewaysX on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewster240
F31 Tech Mod

Post by brewster240 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:21 pm

the engine compartment isnt really bigger then s13.

its actually the same between the strut towers, and the body of the car is narrower.

as far as length, i dont think there is really anymore room front to back.
ZoltecRules
F31Club Contributor

Post by ZoltecRules » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:17 pm

XslidewaysX wrote: i have also been deciding weather or not to use an s13 rear sub frame. im am hesitant to do this because i haven't driven the car on the track yet, and my feelings are, if it aint broke dont fix it. so if i have trouble with the stock rear suspension i will then replace it. for now, my objective is to remove as much weight and un-needed material from the car as possible, cage it, modify the suspension to my desired needs and put in the new power train.
Honestly the S13 rear subframe swap isn't bad if you can do some sheetmetal and welding work (both of which it seems you can or have the resources to do so). As for the reasons, I pretty much did it for the camber adjustment and since I already have all the rear s13 suspension components. If you need more info on what I did, feel free to ask.
ez22
F31Club OG

Post by ez22 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:38 pm

ZoltecRules wrote:
XslidewaysX wrote: i have also been deciding weather or not to use an s13 rear sub frame. im am hesitant to do this because i haven't driven the car on the track yet, and my feelings are, if it aint broke dont fix it. so if i have trouble with the stock rear suspension i will then replace it. for now, my objective is to remove as much weight and un-needed material from the car as possible, cage it, modify the suspension to my desired needs and put in the new power train.
Honestly the S13 rear subframe swap isn't bad if you can do some sheetmetal and welding work (both of which it seems you can or have the resources to do so). As for the reasons, I pretty much did it for the camber adjustment and since I already have all the rear s13 suspension components. If you need more info on what I did, feel free to ask.
Didn't you end up using Z32 aluminum uprights and s14 rear coilovers when you did your s13 rear subframe swap Zoltec?
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

Post by XslidewaysX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:05 pm

yeah i read zoltec's article... im just scared of rulebook violations by doing the swap... says OEM suspension... but in acutaly its nissan oem.. just not for that car... i dunno.

and i dont have acess to a brake that can bend that thick of material.

my biggest concern is making sure its centered properly... i.e. one wheel doesent lead or trail the other... in essence... the lateral position of the frame... making sure its strait forward.... it just seems like alot of work... it may be something to do down the road... but as for now... i dont know that i want to adventure down that road.

my concentration at the moment is simplifying the harness and getting the new motor together and in the car
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

Post by XslidewaysX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:07 pm

no.. the engine bay isnt much bigger.. but its bigger in the right places... its taller and the firewall is farther from the struts. and... the most import thing is... its not a 240sx.. so maybe people will leave me alone! hahaha
DynastyF31
F31Club OG

Post by DynastyF31 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Sup man, i used to post on az240sx back when I had my s-13's. I think my handle is teamloco or something on there. Anyway i'm just in tempe so holler sometime.
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

Post by XslidewaysX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:58 pm

haha awesome! good to hear the guy doing the VK45 swap is near by haha neeto!
DynastyF31
F31Club OG

Post by DynastyF31 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:11 am

ACK!!!! VH45 swap... not VK. hahha. Yeah i'm still collecting parts and haven't been able to source a decent trans yet but i think i should be V8 powered sooner then I thought.
ZoltecRules
F31Club Contributor

Post by ZoltecRules » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:54 pm

XslidewaysX wrote: and i dont have acess to a brake that can bend that thick of material.

my biggest concern is making sure its centered properly... i.e. one wheel doesent lead or trail the other... in essence... the lateral position of the frame... making sure its strait forward.... it just seems like alot of work... it may be something to do down the road... but as for now... i dont know that i want to adventure down that road.

These two issues can be resolved if you have an outside machine shop do it. I simply had mine plate laser cut and then bent. The way to make sure the subframe is centered properly is to drill four holes in the plate: two to match up with the differential studs and two to place the new studs for the s13 subframe. If you measure them correctly then you should have any problem with locating the subframe. After you have the plate up you can bolt on the back end of the subframe and start welding the mounts for the front end.

And yes I did have to use Z32 spindles (I need the fork type mount instead of the bushing due to the angle between the upper and lower mounts) and S14 Coilovers (S13's were too short, I think an S14 subframe taller allowing for S13 coils?)
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

Post by XslidewaysX » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 am

do u still have a blueprint of the parts you made?
XslidewaysX
F31Club Grasshopper

Post by XslidewaysX » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 am

well heres some interesting info i have aquired over the last few months...

let me state before hand that i am the master of finding junkyard crossover parts for cars equipment didnt come with... if that makes sence...

i just did my 5 lug conversion, and im in the middle of simplifying my wiring harness and removing all options from the battleship.. i guess i needed an update here...

anyways. acording the a z31 head the oler zenki z31 non turbos used the same axels as the m30, this is good for a cheap 5 lug converison, however i opted to go with the kouki 300zx turbo axels as a forum of upgrade since the projected power of the vehicle will be 350+

i also discoverd that 17X9.5 with a +15 is pussy flush and you require wheels with a - offset... bad...

and that the suspention isnt low enough.. heres some pictures to keep you guys up to date...

heres my new turbo setup.. guess what its from... lol twin gt28r's

heres a look at the 5 lug garb.. the axels were rotted out so i rebuilt them.. they look like new!

that about does it for now.. if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask...

the wirings has been a pain.. i've been squinting at the diagrams on this page for days... then i realised if i downloaded them it would be alot easier... i could zoom.. haha

i'll get some pics up once i finish the harness and re-do the brakes...

i dunno if i mentioned before but the front suspention is s13...except rather the mess up the suspention geometry by lething the lower control arm i busted out my micrometers and checked the lower ball joints... they are the same as s13's so all i did was replace the strut and spindle with the s13 counterparts... makes the camber much happier as you can see here

have fun with your m's!
ez22
F31Club OG

Post by ez22 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Nice progress. So you're using s13 struts up front to lower the car, but what are you using in the rear? The front looks great with what you have on it, camber wise anyway. Also what do you mean by, "i also discoverd that 17X9.5 with a +15 is pussy flush and you require wheels with a - offset... bad...," I would think that a wheel that wide with that offset would be pushing it as far as clearance goes. Anyway thanks for the update! :D