New M30 owner from Florida

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

New M30 owner from Florida

Post by evilgrinner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Roy and I just recently joined the forums. I picked up my 1991 M30 about a month ago for $1100 and it's been pretty good to me so far. It has about 148k on it, mostly stock, and need a little work. The right rear of the car got hit but only dented the quarter panel in a little, broke the supports on the side of the bumper, and cracked the tail light. The seats aren't pretty but not a lot of 19 year old cars with leather do too well in Florida. The vents on the passenger side are missing and the dash right in front of the driver is starting to buckle. Under the hood, the only issue is that is practically pisses power steering fluid due to a bad line, but the A/C works great!

I look forward to the time when my money starts flowing again so I can get to work on it. I've spent far too much time working on Nissan's so I know my way around them well. This car is the 8th Nissan I've owned and I usually find myself helping my friend work on his S12 SE.

Some of the plans I have for it (after fixing up all previously mentioned issues); S13 suspension, 5 speed swap, still on the fence about what I wanna do for a power plant and get rid of the stock seats for just about anything else. There will eventually be more but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Well that's all I have for now so enjoy the pictures. If anyone wants to know anything else feel free to just ask.
SLYDRDIE1
F31Club Noob

Re: New M30 owner from Florida

Post by SLYDRDIE1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 am

looks like a solid car to start out with.real clean.
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks. One thing that owning a few Datsuns has taught me is to make sure the chassis is in good shape.
iLLBiLL
F31Club Contributor

Post by iLLBiLL » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 am

Very nice! Glad to see more M's popping up on here from FL!!!! :mrgreen: One of these days we'll have to meet up I think theres like 4 or 5 of us now! I think we should meet up at an event at Sebring whether or not anyone drives...
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 am

I'm all for a Florida meet up iLLBill. Hell I wish there were more cool Nissan owners near me. All I have around is a few S13 drivers who only have the car because it's the JDM Tyte Driftz car.

More on a F31 topic. I'm spending the weekend fixing some issues with the car. I just replaced the cheap JVC head unit with a decent Sony one. I had to rewire the speakers so it at least sounds better. Found out that I need a new antenna wire since the one in the car is cut. Removed the cruise control since it didn't work. Removing the adjustable suspension dampening system since it doesn't work. Removed the dead A/C compressor with the intent to replace it but it seems that one from a '88 S12 SE will not work. I'm going to try to work on the large dent on the right side of the trunk tomorrow, I hope I can make some progress with it.

I'll keep updates on progress with the car here but don't expect anything quick, I'm dirt poor at the moment.
DOWNTOWN510
F31Club Noob

Post by DOWNTOWN510 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 am

HEY DOWNTOWN 510 HERE

GOING TO THE 24 HOURS OF DAYTON THIS WEEK END

NOT TAKING THE M-30 WILL BE IN MY GOLD 72 DATSUN 510

WILL BE THERE FRI SAT SUN
DOWNTOWN510
F31Club Noob

Post by DOWNTOWN510 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 am

THATS 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA

WILL BE IN EAST TENT CAMPING
tonyboy
F31Club Noob

Post by tonyboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 pm

new to florida from virginia. Im in orlando . my 92 m30 quit running last week while i was driving at 50mph Im thinking about selling it. cant figure out why it just quit.
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Well it's been a while since I posted due to crazy college schedules. I have accomplished a little with the car though. Temporary solved the power steering leak by using the lines off of a pathfinder(not even close to easy or a bolt in affair and requires a lot of wasted time) but hey, it doesn't leak.

Anyway off to the junk yard tomorrow to hopefully find some Nissan's to pull useful parts off of.
iLLBiLL
F31Club Contributor

Post by iLLBiLL » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Good to hear your M hasn't been neglected like mine... She just sits in the garage now collecting dust, damn travelling for work sure has its downfalls...
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Sorry to hear that iLLBiLL, I do know the feelings though. I don't drive my M as much as I want to due to owning a motorcycle that gets 50mpg compared to the 18 I get in the M.

I managed to find a power steering line off a Z31 at the junkyard so after some careful and creative bending I have that set up in the car now! I am slowly sourcing parts for my 5 speed swap which is good since the auto trans is starting to give me issues. I spent this past Wednesday hanging out with a couple of S12 guys down in Fort Myers and was that an experience. My friend's S12 SE decided to blow a lower radiator hose while we were out and since it's damn near impossible to find a replacement hose for that (everything is so different with the VG30E he has in that car). Luckily I was there with my M and we managed to rig something up using a flex hose to get him home.

I feel bad for the S12 guys though. They seem to have it just as bad as us when it comes to modifying their cars and it seems they get even less respect from the Nissan community.

Well that's it for now, I'll try to post more updates when I get more stuff done.
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Well I ran into my first dilema while getting parts together for my 5 speed swap. I just can't seem to find a Z32 trans in my area. On the other side I seem to be able to find Z31 transnissions everywhere. Now as I do enjoy having a speedometer, I was thinking that worst case I could get the Z31 trans and get the speedo.converter thing that they used for the F31 build in project car.

Well these posts are starthing to feel like a diary for me so I will continue to post whatever progress or problems as they come.
iLLBiLL
F31Club Contributor

Post by iLLBiLL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 am

I just used a z32 cause it was available and cheap at the time, lol. On a good note I have driven my M everyday this week! Yay to working in town for a little bit! Although daily driving on a welded diff takes some getting used to, but it's not that bad and fun as hell in the rain :) I was also thinking if we can meet up some day that would rock, would kind of have that ying and yang thing going since my M is black and yours white... Keep up with the updates, I enjoy seeing them.
- Will
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Well I'm glad to hear that you got to spend more time driving your M this week! I know what it feels like...I see the car just sitting there in my carport and even though is still stock, I just want to drive it! To be honest, I haven't felt this way about a car in a long time. With my S13's I knew that whatever was lacking in the car, I could just go online and have the part to fix the problem by next week. Also, even though I love the engine, the SR20 felt just too refined where the VG30 just feels so raw. My S14 was pretty much a dedicated show car so every time I drove it I was too afraid of going anything over 2 tenths for fear of damaging it. The Z32 I had was fun and still probably my favorite looking car ever but the weight balance was horrid in my opinion. The last car that I owned that made me feel the way the M does was probably my first jump into Nissan, my 1979 280ZX that I owned about 9 years ago. I can't explain it but I know a lot of you guys can relate to what I'm saying. Everyone has that small list of cars they have had that even though they weren't the fastest/best looking/best handling/most reliable/whatever, that when ever you got in a drove it, it was like finding your peace. Sorry about going on so long with that, guess I just got carried away.

On to real news kinda. I decided to take the M out for a "spirited drive" today on some back roads I know. Before anyone says anything, yes I know the dangers of doing things on the street but the only real danger is to myself, and I'm not worried about me. These streets were put down about 20 years ago for a development that never took off so they are all deserted. The closest anything is about 2 miles away and on the other side of a busy interstate. I love the place but the only real downside is that you have to go during the day since there are no street lights out there at all, it's pitch black at night. My buddies and I have a 2.6 mile segment of roads scoped out that we do time attacks on. Lots of fun. Well I made a few runs with the M just to see how I do with it stock so I can compare times later down the road to see the difference my modifications make. The auto trans sucks so much lol, I had a horrible time keeping my rpm's where I wanted them. The suspension is funny, sitting still it's as stiff as a rock but once I start moving...well I've been on boats that have rolled less. I have way too much under steer than I like but I blame that on cheap tires. It really needs some kind of LSD too, which probably attributed a little bit to my under steer.

iLLBiLL, how is driving on the welded diff? I've been thinking about doing it to mine but with the random heavy rains here in FL, it kinda scares me. I'm always up for a meet man, it's great to meet new people and to see another M30 in person. What kills me here in my town, there are no REAL Nissan owners except for my buddy with the S12 SE and myself. All I ever see are a few Maximas/Altimas with chrome rims, one or two riced out Sentras, and some douche bag ex Honda guys who now drive S13/14s. Mush restrain myself from ranting......Okay, calm again. Buy yea man, when we do meet up, pics of the two cars would be cool. Be warned though, up close my car isn't pretty.

Well this went on for far too long so until next time everyone!
evilgrinner
F31Club Noob

Post by evilgrinner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Well I'm going tomorrow to pick up a Hardbody trans so I will be starting the 5 speed swap soon! I also have buddy who is giving me a RB25 throttle body so I'm going to compare that with a KA one. Hey, even if I can't do anything with it, at least it's free. I just changed my power steering belt and I'm finally getting power steering at lower rpms but it's still not perfect, the pump is probably going dead. Did a brake job on the front because I was getting some squeaking while braking so I figured that my pads were low. Turns out they were at about 50% still. Went ahead with the install anyway since I already had the new pads and everything taken apart. Went for a test drive and still had some squeaking so I'm going to check to see if there is any rotor issues and clean the hell out of everything.

I've been pretty much going over every 5 speed swap thread multiple times to make sure I have everything I need to get it right the first time.