The project car

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Re: The project car

Post by f31clubadmin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Your not on Facebook are you? I've been on contact with some of the guys like F31_pilot and a couple others.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 pm

I am on facebook I just dont use it ever lol

Been super busy with work for the past month or two so I haven't been here either :/ I've been dailying the M30 cos the ball joints on my G are just about shot and I don't want to be driving it if they let go. I actually wound up pulling the Z31 brake pedal arm and putting the stock M30 one back in its place...why, you may ask? Well, the Z31 arm sat too low which caused some problems; the brakes dragged ever so slightly, little to no braking actually occurred until near the end of the pedal travel, and the brake pedal was the lowest of the three instead of the highest as it usually is.

Originally I was going to bend the Z31 unit to fit, but to bend it up and down looked next to impossible, whereas I was able to bend the clutch pedal arm side-to-side to get it to clear the stock M30 brake pedal. I did this by clamping it in a bench vise and just putting my weight against it, actually worked pretty good. I had to also remove the dead pedal, but I fashioned a replacement out of sheet aluminum that takes up less space and so everything appears to fit.
20170315_210556.jpg
It makes the clutch a bit harder to use but the brakes work better. I still need to pull it all out and chop the brake pedal and bend stuff again, just haven't had time, plus I hate working under the dash.

I put together the center console, cutting the trim to allow the shifter to move properly.
20170315_210636.jpg
20170315_210501.jpg
I ended up using a shop rag for a shift boot:
20170415_151734.jpg
20170415_151723.jpg
The blue tray thing is leftover from my pegboard, I tried making my own trim out of some scrap kydex pieces glued together to fill that same space but it didn't work very well, fell apart after a week or so. I may try again with some sheet aluminum or a single piece of kydex, for now the tray thingy works.

Also over the last few weeks I put in some stereo equipment which has been long overdue. Ever since I bought it like 7 years ago, the car had an old aftermarket CD player that was, well, old, and aftermarket speakers that sucked. But that meant the harness and speaker wiring was already there, so I bought a new bluetooth/Mp3 head unit and installed it plus the same old sub I've had for years in almost all of my cars, starting with my first M30, lol. Last week I installed new 4-way door speakers, the old ones were some really terrible paper cone no-names that weren't even the right size, held in by only two screws. The wiring was soldered decently, but electrical-taped crudely, so I chopped, re-soldered and heat-shrinked everything. Just tonight I repaired my old amp that I bought almost 15 years ago (along with my sub) - new caps, new MOSFETs, new rectifiers and a new SMD resistor. Until now I was rolling with a cheap crappy amp my buddy gave me almost a decade ago. Still waiting on the new rear speakers to be delivered but it still sounds way better than before.

Also today a random dude from my hood rang our doorbell to let me know he saw an M30 vert at 'Awesome Auto Salvage' in Grand Prairie TX (DFW area), which was pretty cool. I'm going to check it out first chance I get, if anyone in TX needs parts you should go take a look, he showed me some pics and it looked pretty clean, suffered a minor front impact. The interior looks pretty trashed of course but that's to be expected here :/

Edit:
ALSO literally just opened this letter from Roger:
20170419_013734.jpg
What a badass! Thanks again man. I think I'll put one on tomorrow, need to clean the surface to make sure it sticks properly. I'll have to use one of the rear half-windows because the windshield is cracked and will be replaced soon. Then again it may only fit vertically on that window which may not look good, I'll check it out tomorrow.
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

91 Infiniti M30 Coupe (F31) - Sold
88 Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31) - Sold
91 Nissan 300ZX TT (Z32) - Sold
92 Infiniti M30 Convertible (F31) - Project car
05 Infiniti G35 Sedan (V35) - DD

VG30 for life
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am

Nyeark,

Awesome! The other vert guys put them on the windshield on the top corner. When I gave them the stickers and they showed me the rear quarters might rub the stickers off if they put them there.

I also passed your contact to James Dewhitt. He's on here too. He's a good guy, but 3 white verts (he owns 2) would be cool to see!
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Wed May 17, 2017 11:49 am

Good tip on the rear windows rubbing the stickers off, I'll have to hold off until I get the windshield replace then I guess :/

James stopped by the other week but I was kinda sick and the battery on my M30 was flat so we just shot the shit for an hour or so. It's kinda funny cause he lives like a mile away from me with not one but two M30s, yet we've never seen each other on the road.

Hasn't been any progress on the M30 cause I'm having to move houses on short notice. I won't have as much space in the new garage as I do now, so because of that I'm giving away the automatic I pulled out of my vert if anyone in Austin or central TX wants it: http://forums.f31club.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4492
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 pm

You guys gotta get the verts together!!!

3 white verts.. that's one that hasn't happened yet!

I'm hoping to score a vert shortly or by the end of the year.
taylour.wargo
F31Club Noob

Post by taylour.wargo » Thu May 18, 2017 4:47 am

Great write up so far man! Albert is in the process of doing a Z32 trans swap as well and i think this might be a big help!

Is the mazworks wishbone mount shorter than the oem Z32? I know Xcessive sells them in 2 lenghts.
1990 Infiniti M30 Coupe JY saved
1995 Infiniti J30-Backup/Daily jellybean
1981 Datsun 910 Diesel-Project/dream daily
2006 Infiniti M35s-Wifes Car

1991 Infiniti M30 Coupe-Southside Revival/SOLD
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm

In keeping with tradition it's been a few months since I posted, but such is life. Had to move a couple months ago on short notice which was stressful, but overall worked out, I finally have the garage all set up and my welder in there instead of out back so I can weld whenever I want. Then I had to get the M30 going again, turns out one of the starter bolts had fallen out so I replaced it and loctited it. But then last week my d-bag boss decided to kick me to the curb, so my last day is this Friday :( I guess that means I'll have more free time to work on the car and stuff.
taylour.wargo wrote:Is the mazworks wishbone mount shorter than the oem Z32? I know Xcessive sells them in 2 lenghts.
I don't think so, but I don't know 100%, I can check if you still need that info. I also need to check if I still have the speed sensor for the old slushbox since someone asked me about that.

Just the other day got around to mounting my front license plate, I didn't want to drill the bumper so until now I'd had it up on the dash but cops don't like that. So I welded a little bracket onto the bottom of the front rad support and then made another bracket to bolt to that, bend underneath the front bumper and hold the plate itself. And because JDM life, I offset it instead of centering :D I'll post more detail when I get home from 'work' but here's what it looks like (it looks a bit crooked, I think I need to bend one of the brackets just a bit).
20170806_183936.jpg
I also need to make a driveshaft loop since there's no center carrier anymore, but that should just be a matter of drilling some metal flat and bolting it on.
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
strikevalk
F31club OG

Post by strikevalk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm

sweet vert! what year is it? would u still happen to have the old slush box shifter? and auto trans?
with every turn of the road
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 am

I hope thing work out Chris...

What plans you have for a new job?

nyeark wrote:In keeping with tradition it's been a few months since I posted, but such is life. Had to move a couple months ago on short notice which was stressful, but overall worked out, I finally have the garage all set up and my welder in there instead of out back so I can weld whenever I want. Then I had to get the M30 going again, turns out one of the starter bolts had fallen out so I replaced it and loctited it. But then last week my d-bag boss decided to kick me to the curb, so my last day is this Friday :( I guess that means I'll have more free time to work on the car and stuff.
taylour.wargo wrote:Is the mazworks wishbone mount shorter than the oem Z32? I know Xcessive sells them in 2 lenghts.
I don't think so, but I don't know 100%, I can check if you still need that info. I also need to check if I still have the speed sensor for the old slushbox since someone asked me about that.

Just the other day got around to mounting my front license plate, I didn't want to drill the bumper so until now I'd had it up on the dash but cops don't like that. So I welded a little bracket onto the bottom of the front rad support and then made another bracket to bolt to that, bend underneath the front bumper and hold the plate itself. And because JDM life, I offset it instead of centering :D I'll post more detail when I get home from 'work' but here's what it looks like (it looks a bit crooked, I think I need to bend one of the brackets just a bit).
20170806_183936.jpg
I also need to make a driveshaft loop since there's no center carrier anymore, but that should just be a matter of drilling some metal flat and bolting it on.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:25 pm

strikevalk wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm
sweet vert! what year is it? would u still happen to have the old slush box shifter? and auto trans?
It's a '92, and yea I have both the shifter and the trans still. I got your PM with your address back in August but then the boards died :( Let me know if you still need the shifter and/or any other parts and I can get them pulled and sent out.
f31clubadmin wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 am
I hope thing work out Chris...

What plans you have for a new job?
I actually just started my new job last week, and finally stepped up from IT Helpdesk at my last company (senior tech, but still helpdesk) to Systems Administrator at the new place. It's a lot more work though so I don't think I'll have time for the car except on weekends, at least until I whittle down the list of stuff they need fixed or done. The time off in between jobs though gave me an opportunity to do sort of whatever, and I spent a good portion of it learning to melt and cast aluminum, at least on a basic level. The other thing I did was improve my cooking skills but that's not relevant lol.

Aluminum casting is something I've wanted to do for years after seeing it done on James May's Man Lab (good show, check it out). There's a good instructional series on youtube from Grant Thompson that explains making the equipment but learning to actually do it was a bit of trial and error.

So far I can do basic shapes either from scratch by making patterns from wood and then making molds of those, or from existing parts that I can make molds from. And since it's aluminum it's easy to cut, shape, finish and polish once you have the basic piece, though sometimes I think it looks cooler unfinished.

Edit: the pictures/attachments system seems to not be working properly so this isn't formatted with the pictures inline like I wanted to do :(

I've made some brackets for a front strut tower brace, though getting the crossbar to fit proved more challenging than I thought so I put that on hold. I also made some Infiniti emblems to put on my G35's engine cover, these are replicas of the G35 trunk emblem. I then took two of those and made a single double sided version. I found the sprues, which are the leftover pieces of metal from the pouring process that are normally cut off and remelted, look kinda cool as shift knobs. And just a couple weeks ago the plastic handle on my clamp broke, so I glued it back together, made a mold of it, and now it's metal:

The catch is that this is all melted scrap aluminum, mostly beer cans, which from my research is one of the worst kinds of aluminum to cast with. Because of that I don't plan on doing anything that's important or actually needs to be super-strong. Interior trim pieces though would be cool, they wouldn't warp or crack, or just custom bits.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas for stuff I could make. I just got a job last week so I don't have as much time anymore, but since I've learned a good chunk of the basics it doesn't take as long as it used to.

Also, thanks Roger for fixing the boards, it's good to have them back :)
Attachments
20171223_003915.jpg
20171216_154146.jpg
20171216_154121.jpg
20171214_151509.jpg
20171208_002044.jpg
20171205_160910.jpg
20171205_155333.jpg
20171122_134720.jpg
20171116_225654(1).jpg
20170823_195657.jpg
20170823_195647.jpg
20171223_003915.jpg
20171216_154146.jpg
20171216_154121.jpg
20171214_151509.jpg
20171208_002044.jpg
20171205_160910.jpg
20171205_155333.jpg
20171122_134720.jpg
20171116_225654(1).jpg
20170823_195657.jpg
20170823_195647.jpg
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

dude!!!1

I'm trying to get some 3d printing going.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:49 am

3d printing would be sweet, I'm looking to do the same because then I can 3d print patterns from scratch instead of having to work with wood, and make molds off those to cast into aluminum. Plus there's a type of 3d printing material you can use that burns off easily, so instead of making a pattern you just bury the print in sand and pour aluminum over it, called lost-investment casting
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 am

Yes,

SlappinM30 does 3d printing and I've been nudging him to make stuff like the passenger side vent (I gave him the bezel and fins). But that was since early 2017.

We talk about it, but unfortunately, it looks like he is too stuck on making RC stuff (which is fine). I even told him I'd pay him to make the stuff and he knows people want to fix their vent.

--------------------------

Yup, there is a glitch with the attachments.. super bullshit. This is updated to the current version too.

I've been trying to change the theme and it's not finding them in ftp... so maybe there will be fixes soon...
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:52 am

Well let's see, 9 months between posts, sounds about right. Lot of stuff going on though so the wait will hopefully have been worth it :D

Some backstory:
Around February or March we found out that people in our neighborhood are jerks; I had both my cars parked in our driveway and somebody felt the need to call the police because the M30 was 'blocking the sidewalk'. Really? Just go around it, or come knock on our door instead of calling the cops. Anyway I decided to move the M30 to my folks to make things easier on my roommates, but a dead alternator and dying battery turned what should have been a 30-45 minute drive into an all-day ordeal.

Finally got it to my folks and just left it for a few months, put off doing anything about it until a few weeks ago. I chucked a new battery in and brought it back to my house, even managed to get it inspected and registered, all with a dead alternator lol. I actually didn't know the alt was bad until just last week when I put a voltmeter on it, I replaced the original alt. last September with a reman'd unit which tested good after install, but at some point the replacement croaked as well.

I also realized the rest of the motor needed some attention, just given the age of the car. The accessory belts are dried and cracking and the timing belt probably isn't any better, so I decided to change out all the belts. This of course led me down the rabbit hole of "while you're in there, you should replace X as well". Usually I stick pretty closely to whatever the original task was, but this time I decided to lean into it and picked up a whole bunch of parts to refresh most of the motor. The guts seem okay so I'll only be going as far as the valve covers; those will get pulled and cleaned and the leaky gaskets finally replaced.

So, major service time; I'm going to take the obligatory 'pile of parts' picture later, but here's the list:
  • Full gasket & seal set
  • Alternator
  • Oil pump
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat
  • Coolant temp sensor
  • Radiator hoses
  • Timing belt & tensioner
  • Tensioner hardware (studs, washers, spring)
  • Accessory belts + idler pulley
  • EGR delete plug (going to make the block-off plate myself)
  • Cylinder head temp sensor + subharness
  • Knock sensor + subharness
  • Oil pressure sensor
  • Fuel filter
  • PCV valve & hoses
  • Allen-head fasteners + silicone washers (timing & valve covers)
  • Silicone hoses (intake, coolant, vacuum, power steering return, windshield washer)
  • Solid aluminum motor mounts
  • Maxima e-fan
Notes:
  • A lot of this stuff can be had for super cheap, unless you insist on OEM parts for everything. I don't mind generic stuff, but there's some items that are only available through Nissan. I pretty much buy all my OEM stuff through Courtesy Nissan; they're competitive on pricing, though I tend to order stuff in batches because they don't have any free shipping options.
  • Here's a good writeup on the timing belt change: http://xenonzcar.com/z31/timingbelt.html It's for a Z31 but anything relating to just the engine will usually apply, you should of course refer to the F31 FSM as well.
  • Some but not all parts from the Z31 will interchange, I have some notes on exactly what I bought so I'll add those in a later post.
  • Remember that the M30 has a W-series VG30, this will determine the exact part number for some things if you're ordering OEM Nissan.
  • It's recommended to also replace the subharnesses for the CHTS and knock sensors, not just the sensors themselves.
  • I picked up SS allen-head bolts with aluminum washers for the valve covers from ZSPEC; I've read from Z31 folks that they provide more even clamping to the heads which helps prevent oil leaks. The OEM fasteners are philips head screws that can strip if you're not careful removing them, and the rubber washers tend to disintegrate over time which probably leads to even more oil leaks.
  • If you want you can delete the AIV and IACV systems at the same time as the EGR, just get a block-off/delete kit for the Z31. I decided not to because this isn't a race car and I want it to idle on its own without me having to mess with it. If your state still requires emissions testing for old cars then you may want to leave the EGR alone as well.
  • For the silicone hoses, I took ballpark measurements so that I could get an order placed but I'll list exact lengths for the hoses once I have them all replaced.
UPS was supposed to deliver my silicone hoses on Friday but they dropped the ball, so this last weekend all I managed to get done was pulling the radiator, accessory belts, and then the intake plenum. I'll try to take pictures tonight after work but it's going to look the same as any other VG30E with the top pulled off lol.
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 am

Aye brother!

Glad to you still kicking!!!

As you see, the forums are not as social, but this is where information is stored!

Did I give you f31club wordpress access? If you feel like making blog posts (as I do for misc stuff) you can do that as well.

Strikevalk recently visited, so we met up with some OG forum members and even with Jacy (jcrapps).

http://www.f31club.com/2018/08/23/wande ... -sf-sd-sf/