Once I got back from Japan, I was now looking for an M30. I had bought parts and was looking to get back into it.
The distant relative of my wife who took over my old M30 has been MIA. The agreement was that if I wanted the car back, he would resell it to me (even if he added a couple hundred bucks to the price I sold it to him for). Before I went to Hawaii, there was some rumor that the M30 got damaged by hitting a curb. I don't know if that as from drunk driving or what the issue is.. but the fact my wife can't locate him is all red flags (but he's not dead, possibly in jail).
So I ruled out that M30 (with much sadness)! Anyways, I was looking at options and of course people want a good chunk of change for some M30s that were hurting, either interiorly, mechanic wise or exteriorly. Something was wrong. I did not want a vert just yet too. SlappinM30 offered his M30, which I was thinking heavily on, it is a running project and he would give me a good price on it. My wife said no more projects when we talked about it.
I looked at Craigslist and saw that there was a pretty clean one in Oregon. $2900, 2nd owner (adult owned) and pretty stock.
I called the owner up and committed to buying it. He said he would hold it for me when I sent him my flight info. I was trying to go that weekend, but the my wife booked a flight 2 weeks later. Would email him every other day saying I am not flaking out.1991 Infiniti M30 HT Coupe, 2nd non-smoker owner since 1998 - $2900 obo (Portland, OR)
Sharp looking and nice condition 1991 Infiniti M30 HT Coupe:
- Original rare two-tone silver / dark silver gray exterior
- Charcoal / Gray interior
- 142,000 mostly highway miles.
- Strong running 3.0 L SOHC V6 engine.
- Oil changed every 3,000 miles and doesn't leak or burn a drop.
- Always garaged with no rust and has never been driven in snow or harsh weather.
- Well maintained. Have all maintenance records and receipts including original M30 dealer window sticker, service manual and leather travel folder.
- Smooth automatic transmission with overdrive feature.
- Rear wheel drive.
- Leather seats / Security System / Sunroof / Rare Factory Chrome Wheels
- Has similar engine and drive-line as the popular Nissan 300 ZX.
- New tires, brakes, radiator, alternator, starter, exhaust system, etc.
- Drivers seat has slight wear on upper side facing door and top of back seat has a separated seam.
- Included are nice looking dash and seat covers.
Has never been in an accident. Free copy of AutoCheck history report is available.
We are selling our beautiful M30 because we bought a new car.
Have title in hand and full payment must be buyer's bank verified cashiers check only.
Finally it was the weekend! I flew up on Saturday (11.12.16) to PDX. He picked me up and we went straight to the bank. Gave him cash and we went back to his place. Test drove it, looked over everything, noted the deficits of the M30 and realized it is probably the cleanest one I've seen in a while. 142, 000 miles with a straight body and clean interior.
Typical issues with climate control, dash warp, small stress fracture in chassis on driver's side, typical seat rips.
The amazing things:
They documented everything they did.
They had an issue that when it rained, the car would cut out. He spent a good $3000 trying to find the problem which included tons of new parts (like injectors) thinking it was fuel related. What had happened was that water would drip down the passenger side and reach the ECU. After the mechanical changes and diagnostics, they took it to an electrical specialist and found that the water would reach the ECU shortening it out. So new ECU.
Before I left, the wife asked to take pictures of her 1 last time, so we spent 10mins doing that. He took me to his garage and had a box of extra stuff ( unused gaskets, injectors, the chrome center caps, 1 was bad, tire chains, wheel lock key...
While I was planning to meet with Jay, it was a good at least 8hr drive back to San Francisco.
I knew when after I got back from Hawaii, I needed to get f31club going and get an M30. This was reinforced in Japan