Hi, my name is: (NZ).

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
jcrapps
Site Admin

Post by jcrapps » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:29 am

Looks like a great opportunity for you. Go for it!
JC
F31Club Noob

Post by JC » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:56 pm

I'll have that engine in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan. Yuhsss!
On a totally unrelated note, I did some real Dukes Of Hazzard shit on the weekend. If I get another chance this weekend, and if my brother's clapped out Corolla still goes, I'll try get some photos. It looks funny as hell when it's airborne.
JC
F31Club Noob

Post by JC » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 am

Okay, so here's the story so far:
I have the Leopard VG30DET in my possession and it looks great. Until my mechanic told me...
1. One engine mount is different to my subframe. When he told me this, it reminded me of this post by Brewster:
th e front crossmember is different between turbo and n/a

Now I know what he means, and that echoes through my head at least once every 5 minutes of my day now.
2.The power steering pump and air conditioning pump are on different sides. Thanks God.
3. Because the engine will add more than 30% (or is it 10%?)more power than standard, I will need a special certificate, which costs $400 (regardless of wiether it passes).
4. The turbo is in the goddamn way of the subframe.
5. And of course the wiring is a major concern, plus I'll be needing a customized exhaust system.

My mechanic warns that it will probably set me thousands to do this conversion and doesn't even want to do it himself (he's a good guy and probably doesnt want to see me spending my hard earned lawnmowing dollars going into something that he desn't see worth it [probably especially since I mow both his house and garage lawns]).

Anyone got any ideas about what I should do? I might hire a car trailer and take it to the city to a customs shop. I know a guy who had a GM V8 crammed into a wee Mazda truck so my job can't be harder than that! I was thinking I could do away with the air conditioning pump (since most people do that eventually anyway) and have the steering hydraulics custom fabricated (apparently it's not that big an issue). But the rest? Will I need a DET computer to run the turbo or will the standard one be alright? Is this a stupid question? I was very lucky to find a Leopard VG30DET (and I got it for $900) but now I'm worried my battle so far may have been in vain. I'm determined to keep going ahead with this shit. Sorry if I'm not making much sense (and if my spelling's not correct), I anm drunk.
JC
F31Club Noob

Post by JC » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:15 am

Sorry I haven't taken any pictures, I have no camera, or even a phone right now. So here's one of my mate's Pulsar GTiR instead.

It's good for 12 second quarter mile passes. 8)
JC
F31Club Noob

Re: Hi, my name is:

Post by JC » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 am

Update time, not a lot has happened to my poor Leopard in the last year, but at least something has, recently. The dead 30DE is completely out and in a million pieces, the DET will go in as soon as my mechanic sorts out how he's going to mount it, as I think I mentioned before, the mount on the turbo side is different on the DET. I still need a radiator, can someone please tell me the dimensions of the F31 radiator so I can hunt for an aftermarket upgrade? Muchos gracious.
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:06 am

whats up man!!!

our radiator is gonna be different than yours in general believe. We dont even have Dohc motors in our f31s.

let me do some poking around though.
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:14 am

couldnt find dimensions. how bout this.

radishop.com

Part Number: 020685
メーカー:ニッサン車種:レパード型式:E-UF31・E-GF31 Manufacturer: Nissan Model: Model Leppard: E-UF31 E-GF31
エンジン型式:VG30DE・VG30DET Engine Model: VG30DE VG30DET
年式:昭和61年2月~平成4年6月ミッション:A/T Ceremony: February 1986 - March 1992 Mission 6: A / T
純正品番:21460-F6500、21460-F6460、21460-F6560 Akira Makoto Part No. :21460-F6500 ,21460-F6460 ,21460-F6560
---------------------------

maybe an R31 skyline radiator might work or a A31 Cefiro/ C33 Laurel might work too.
SlappinM30
F31Club Contributor

Post by SlappinM30 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:49 pm

So how is the build going, any progress? As many have said before the motor that came stock in your car. Would be heaven sent to us her in the states. The duel over head cams and distributor less ignition and such. Harder to work on maybe but a good amount more power.
2 personally custom built 15"s ,RF t1500-1bd, Dual alts, duel Aux Batts. Now doing consistent 143+'s with a 2nd and a 3rd in No Wall Db Drag and a 1st in 129.9 Bass Race at the last show.
JC
F31Club Noob

Post by JC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:00 am

Sooo...

This is where the car has been for about the last two years.
This time last year I was paying off the NZ$900 it cost me for a cambelt change for the VG30DET, it needed a lot of parts replaced, which were apparently very expensive. I've only seen it a couple of times since then.

On a positive note, I don't mow lawns anymore. I work at a local tourist attraction in an engineering workshop where I've been learning to gas cut and weld, I've got access to lots of tools and I'm always scheming ideas to apply these new skills to practical use on the Leopard. No promises anything is going to happen soon though, unfortunately, but hey - free sheltered stotage until then!

j

Post by j » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm

nice project going here! did you try just having custom brackets made? im pretty sure that would be the easiest route since youve got a new wealth of tools to use now.

hope you get this beast on the road soon!
if u cant slide it dont buy it!!! youre wasting your money

Slide In Love David Kula
A true friend will never be forgotten