The project car

Post pics of your Infiniti M30s or Nissan Leopards. ALL Z31 and R31 owners, please post your cars at the section below.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Re: The project car

Post by nyeark » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Junkyards are cool and all, I just haven't got the time or energy during the week to go, so I've actually been getting all my parts online and having them shipped. It's almost certainly more expensive but it means I don't have to spend weekends at the junkyard and instead can use those days for wrenching.

http://www.car-part.com is what I use primarily, even if something isn't explicitly listed, it can point you in the right direction. An example is the front crossmember; via that site I found a yard that had enough major bits that it was likely they had the whole car, so I emailed them and sure enough they had a crossmember that just hadn't been listed on the site.

Ebay and craigslist are pretty obvious, but what helps is cross-referencing infiniti and nissan part numbers to see if you can use stuff from other cars. Their parts lookup sites aren't bad, actually: https://parts.infinitiusa.com/ and https://parts.nissanusa.com/

For new OEM parts, it's hard to beat courtesy nissan, esp. if you know the part number already from the lookup sites: http://www.courtesyparts.com

And last for Z32 specific stuff (OEM and aftermarket), I like Z1; they have some of their own products as well that I've used (the clutchline and trans mount): http://www.z1motorsports.com
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

91 Infiniti M30 Coupe (F31) - Sold
88 Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31) - Sold
91 Nissan 300ZX TT (Z32) - Sold
92 Infiniti M30 Convertible (F31) - Project car
05 Infiniti G35 Sedan (V35) - DD

VG30 for life
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Too cool man!

I'll be following in your foot steps shortly!
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 am

Just got this shipped in:
90Z(12)DriveshaftFrontHalf-1.JPG
90Z(12)DriveshaftFrontHalf-3.JPG
Took awhile to find, I wound up emailing a guy on ebay (his username there is qcphan2000) who specializes in z32 parts and he tracked this down and had it at my door in about a week for $120.

Still need to take it and the m30 shaft to get chopped and welded; I'm broke yet again though so it'll have to wait. I'd like to say that I'll have the car done by the end of the year, but I'm going up to seattle to visit my sister for xmas which is going to sap some cash from the project.
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31roger
Wandering Leopard

Post by f31roger » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Awesome! Well, we are all busy and it is the holidays! I'm just glad you are posting it on here! It is hugely important!

text me your address, I'm sending you a couple f31club stickers!
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Been awhile since the last update, spent the holidays up in Seattle with family which was cool, but left me broke as a joke :( Also, I recently got into homebrewing beer so that's taken up a lot of my time lately.

Anyway, the Mazworx shifter and shifter bracket just arrived today so those'll go in this weekend, plus reassembling the diff so I can double-check the measurements for getting the driveshaft cut and welded. Also gotta drop off the high-pressure power steering line for rebuild/repair.

Also I forgot to post this but I'll do it now before I forget again: the z32 solid alum trans mount from Z1 isn't a perfect fit. It'll mount to the transmission (obviously) but it shoves the trans up into the trans tunnel. I used the leftover rubber bushings from the front sway bar links I bought (replaced the rubber with poly bushings) in place of washers to take up the slack of the bolts. I'm not too worried because they did manage to thread in sufficiently I think, just not all the way. I'll try to get pics soon to explain this better.

Hopefully will have the car back on the road in the next month or two :D
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Awesome man.

I'm working on the actual front page (f31club.com).

send me pix and all

F31roger@gmail.com
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Yo so I've been MIA for a bit, shit has been crazy trying to get the 5-speed swap finished. It's still not fully done BUT ITS ROLLING NOW BITCHES

I read somewhere from old-timer mechanics that "the last 10% takes 90%", which made sense to me, but I never experienced that until now. It's partly my fault cause I did this swap the dumb way, that is, I didn't bag and tag bolts, everything was just strewn across my garage floor. I also did bushings and the 5-speed swap at the same time instead of just doing one project at a time which didn't help things either. Also I'm just not that great a mechanic and make dumb mistakes /shrug

Last time I checked in, the bushings were done and the transmission was mounted to both the engine and car. I had pulled the diff off the subframe with the intention of welding it for doriftos, but decided not to; instead I'll save up for a proper 2-way. But, that meant I had to reinstall it before I could take measurements for the driveshaft. Sure, there's another thread on here where a guy doing this exact swap said he used 55" end-to-end (which is what I ended up using as well), but I couldn't take that chance, I had to sanity-check and measure to make sure it would work for my car as well.

So we go to install the diff, and the nuts that SHOULD be the ones to mount it, thread on a bit and then stop. Couldn't find any others that fit, so I figured it got lost in the garage and ordered a new factory one from courtesy nissan. 12$ (2$ nut and 10$ shipping...god damn it) and a week later, find out we had the right ones all along, just there was crap packed in the threads that prevented it from tightening down all the way. Derp.

Okay so, we got past that, reinstalled the diff and axles, got the driveshaft measurements and they more or less lined up with what I'd researched. So, I dropped off the driveshaft parts to get a custom one made and my boy dropped off the power steering high pressure line to get repaired. Driveshaft was easy, but expensive, $530 - new spicer greasable u-joints though so that's pretty cool, it'll last the lifetime of the car and I plan to keep it. The power steering line was the opposite story, my boy went to 8 (count them, 8) different places before somebody could fix it. But they did a killer job, they brazed on a fitting so if the high-pressure rubber line ever lets go again I can replace just that bit instead of having to remove the whole hardline. And it was cheap, like $100 or something.

But then, we tried to reinstall that power steering line. Somehow I had it in my head that I'd gotten it out with the crossmember still up, so we tried to reinstall it the same way. Maybe it's possible, but 3 hours later we had to admit defeat.

I took off valentine's day to work on the car and my bud came down to help again. Problem was, our local utility company decided to be dicks, and cut our powar cause of billing mistakes that they made. Not willing to give up, we bought crappy camping headlamps and got to work; we dropped the crossmember, installed the power steering line and then threw everything back together, only to find that I forgot to reconnect the steering knuckle before putting the crossmember back up. Derp.

I stayed up late after work this week to get the crossmember dropped, the steering knuckle reconnected, and the power steering lines reconnected. Then today my bud came down and we threw the suspension back together and put the crossmember back up, refilled all the fluids, and fired it up. The whole exhaust is still off so it sounded like shite, but it started, ran and moved - took it around the block and it engaged gears properly and everything :D

I need to tie up some loose ends - the power steering isn't working, could just be low fluid, maybe a loose fitting. There's also a rubbing rotational noise, maybe brake rotors against heat shields. And the exhaust needs to be reinstalled. But it moves and drives, so it technically counts, capping off a quest that started like 12 years ago with my very first M30, to have a 5-speed F31.

I'll post back later with pix and vidyas but we literally drove it like 30min ago so I just HAD to post, I'm so pumped :D
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
ONEVIA
The Write-up King

Post by ONEVIA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:36 am

Congratulations! I know the feeling. After all the time and effort you put into something, getting past the hurdles and problem solving, and you finally get to the point where you can actually enjoy the fruits of your labor. This is a big accomplishment, good job!
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 pm

The MAZWORX shifter bracket and short shifter installed:
20170207_135039.jpg
The custom driveshaft - Z32 slip yoke, F31 diff flange, 55" inches end to end, one piece, new spicer greaseable u-joints:
20170210_164023.jpg
Driveshaft splines in just fine:
20170212_131741.jpg
And bolts to the diff with no problems.
20170212_131755.jpg
The whole thing:
20170212_131819.jpg

The very first test drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PFVhg-pVI
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Worked over the weekend to get the car roadworthy; it fought back but I still emerged victorious. Torque-checked every bolt I could get the torque wrench on to factory specs, I'm going to post a quick reference guide for them in just a bit. The newly repaired power steering line was leaking again, but this time from the steering knuckle side; I cranked down on the fitting but it was still dripping substantially. I had to readjust the tube and bend it slightly to get it to sit flush in the port and not leak anymore.

Then I realized I forgot to reinstall the exhaust before I put the rear subframe back up, and didn't feel like dropping it again, so I decided to separate the rear portion of the exhaust to snake it over. Well both bolts (rusted to hell) snapped off, of course, and I'd lent out my cutoff tool to my friend, so ran out and bought another to chop the nuts off the other side. Hammered out the remains of the bolts and threw it all back together with some leftover fasteners. The exhaust gaskets are ruined so it leaks pretty badly in at least two places but it'll do for now.

It still needs an alignment pretty bad and the reverse lights hooked up, but it works, in fact I decided to roll the dice a bit and drove it to work today lol. The speedo is reading low, not sure by how much, maybe 5-10mph? The tach has been out for awhile now so I'll need to fix that or chuck in an aftermarket one :/

Today after work I'm going to pick up some sheet aluminum to try to make a plate for the shifter hole, and I'll worry about a proper boot later.
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
strikevalk
F31club OG

Post by strikevalk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 pm

i've been running without a shifter boot for a few years now.. lol
with every turn of the road
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Nyeark,

Finding and addressing the small annoyances will pass. Good stuff, I sent an email to you if you want to post on the wordpress front of f31club.

I all I ask is you post your m30s and talk about some of the things you've done.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 pm

f31clubadmin wrote:Nyeark,

Finding and addressing the small annoyances will pass. Good stuff, I sent an email to you if you want to post on the wordpress front of f31club.

I all I ask is you post your m30s and talk about some of the things you've done.
Yeah totes, sorry for not replying yet lol

In fact I'll share a neat lil story from the other day, I'll prolly turn it into a front page post at some point. But first more pix!

So the mazworx bracket works perfectly and the shifter is great, not too notchy, heavy shift knob, really pleasant. Problem was the hole surrounding the shifter:
20170223_192122.jpg
It's weird to be able to see the spinning driveshaft and the ground through the car..
20170223_192212.jpg
So I made a plate out of sheet aluminum to cover most of the hole:
20170223_192344.jpg
It took quite a bit of testing, trimming and testing again to get it to fit, but it does
20170223_192627.jpg
To go over the plate I re-used the automatic rubber shift boot, and just cut out a bit at the top of where it's already slit to allow the round shifter to come through
20170223_192722.jpg
It slides over easy and doesn't look terrible
20170223_192750.jpg
Some bolts with washers to prevent chewing into the rubber and it's done. I've been trying to think of something clever or amusing for a proper boot over the rubber, kind of like the crown royal bags, but nothing's come to me yet.
20170223_193136.jpg
Story time! So while I was making the aforementioned plate this random dood who lives in my neighborhood walks up to my garage, at first I thought he was going to ask me to turn down my music. Turns out he's a car guy and had seen the M30 on jackstands any time the garage was open for the last 2-3 years and then saw it driving the other day, so he came up to ask about it. I got to nerd out about it for a minute, basically puked the wikipedia entry for the M30 onto him plus the history of this particular vert. He said that he thought it was a Mk3 supra or something since he never got a close look at it which I thought was kind of amusing. Either way it's still instantly recognizable as a late 80s-90s Japanese sports car of some kind even if people don't know anything about it, and I think that's cool.

It's made me feel pretty lucky to own not one but two iconic Infinitis - the first (and for awhile, only) vert they made, not to mention one of the anchor cars that started the brand,; and then the car that buoyed them back up in the early 2000s and really made people take notice and buy into the brand. Not many G35 owners will appreciate the place in history the car has, especially since they're so common. At least a lot of M30 owners know their car's legacy :)

BTW Roger have you or anyone else got any more F31club stickers? I can paypal you some bux for it, no problem, I just want to get one on there and rep now that the car's going to be rollin around lol
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life
f31clubadmin
Site Admin

Post by f31clubadmin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Nyeark,

Yeah, I got f31club stickers. Good write up and definitely cool to see someone had an interest in finding out what your car is!

text me your address.
nyeark
F31Club OG

Post by nyeark » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:03 am

Werd I'll txt you tmrw

Worked on the car yesterday to wrap up the last few deets and let me tell ya, it never rains, but it pours.

I derped up yet again the other week, and forgot to screw the O2 sensor back in before driving the car, and by the time I'd remembered that I'd forgotten, it was destroyed from having dragged along the pavement. On a normal M30 it might've been fine but on a lowered car there was no chance.
20170224_184849.jpg
20170224_184917.jpg
Ordered a replacement sensor plus the exhaust gaskets (the main exhaust manifold-to-exhaust gasket and the cat-to-muffler gasket) and those got in Friday.
20170224_184823.jpg
O2 sensor went in no problem, but one of the exhaust gaskets didn't fit, the one between the exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust. It's listed as for a Z31 VG30 NA, 2-port, 3-stud-hole. Well the 2 ports lined up, but none of the stud holes did. I ended up having to drill all three holes - I took this picture in between drilling and test fitting.
20170224_190802.jpg
I could've sworn the product page said it fit both the M30 and Z31, but I guess not, and once opened it wasn't returnable so I had to make do. Long story short, don't get a Z31 main exhaust gasket, the M30's is apparently bespoke.

It worked well enough, the exhaust smell is mostly gone and the noise is way down. But I've had mixed results driving the car - sometimes it runs like a champ and is actually pretty peppy if you rack it out through the gears :) But on my last test drive we ran into some issues, the engine was struggling to produce any power, plus there was the smell of friction material burning off. At first I thought it was clutch, but then realized it was probably the brakes dragging; at a stoplight there was noticeable brake fade and once we did stop there was light smoke coming from the front of the car. Pretty sure the pedal has something to do with it, going to look at it tomorrow after taking my dog to the vet. As for the engine bogging, we think it may be vibrations of some sort (driveshaft, maybe) setting off the knock sensor and putting the car into limp-home-mode. Need to fix the brakes first though because if those are dragging themselves to the point of fading then the car probably isn't safe to drive.

The saga continues...
The Snark says ¡Nyeark!

VG30 for life